Friday 13 September 2013

Journal spread Finnabair style

Hello everyone, Astrid here with my first project for September. As some of you know two of my teamies and myself plus 25 or so other people spent a weekend learning from the wonderful Finnabair about two weeks ago. Today I am sharing a journal spread with you that includes some of the techniques we learnt, but created with stamps from the Artistic Stamper.
I started by creating some "ephemera" using  the Ephemera 1 and Labels sets. I inked some scraps of card with Vintage Linen Distress Ink and then stamped my chosen images in a mix of Jet Black, Coffee and Maroon Archival Inks, I then darkened the edges with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
Here you can see them al, - at this point I have no idea yet which ones I will use, but I think they look pretty cool together like that.
Next I prepared my pages. I laid 2 pages from my Mixed Media journal side by side and covered them with random strips of paper, ripped canvas and other textural bits.
I used cheap collage glue for this, that's why it is so shiny here and there.
The next step was to cover it all with a  layer of Gesso.
I had a vintage photo that I wanted to use so I played around until I knew where abouts I wanted to place it
After that I started to arrange my ephemera over and around it until I was happy with the composition. At that point I should have taken another photo but forgot.... So I'll talk you through the next stages. I glued my ephemera down over and around my photo which I had trimmed a little first. I added a few embellishments from my stash and then created a home made spray with a mix of Distress Ink re-inkers, I used Aged Mahogany, Victorian Velvet, Black Soot and Dusty Concord, just a few drops of each. I tested it on the way adding a drop here and there until I was happy with the colour. I put it in a mister bottle with a tiny bit of Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold. I covered the photo with some kitchen roll and a baby wipe and then carefully sprayed over and around it and also in the other corner of my journal spread. The final step was to add some back ground stamping with Jet Black Archival ink. I used the Calligraphic Mat 12 and the Chicken Wire background for that. Here are some close up of the finished pages:
I added some ink rings still by dipping a bottle lid in some black ink. Here you can see the pages after I cut them apart (some of the strips went right across both pages) and after I inked around them still with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.
 The right side page with the photo
 The left hand side, just with an arrangement of the ephemera and some embellishments.
Finally a few more close ups:


Well, that is it. Hope you like this journal spread, I have to say I really enjoyed making it and I still have a few ephemera left for a next project.
Until next time


37 comments:

Gerrie Johnnic said...

This is just FABULOUS! I've been watching Finn and all you gals that went to the class, and thought about doing something similar to what you have done, so thanks for making my life easy. lol

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Awesome - great take on Finnabair style!!! Love the color you created with your re-inkers...you make me want to play!

Scraps of Elegance said...

What a masterpiece! I love, love your take on the Finnabar style, and I especially love those colors you've worked with. I must go back and enlarge your pic to view it all over again. Fabulous work.

Sandie said...

Oh my goodness Astrid, this is a favourite for me of your creations, it is amazing in every single detail!!!

Inkypinkycraft said...

this is gorgeous , the layers and textures you have created here are just delightful! i think this is gorgeous x hugs x

Helen said...

Totally stunning! It was such fun following the Finn weekend on twitter, though not as gorgeous as it would have been to be there! maybe next time...

Agnieszka Korman said...

Totally gorgeous.

Maryann Laursen said...

As always you´ve made an outstanding piecce of art Astrid, and it´s totally amazing and looks fabulous. I love it.

Annie said...

Fabulous and inspiring make Astrid.....love the wonderful ephemera and layout

Crafty hugs Annie x

Dorthe said...

Dear Astrid, this is extraordinaire !!! LOVE it -the plum on the gessoed pages with all the sepia ephemera -wonderfully bound together with chicken wire stamp!! SO Stunning .
Hugs,Dorthe

Marianne said...

Stunning creation. What a beautiful pages you have made. Love it!!
xxx Marianne

Paula Whittaker said...

Fabulous creation Astrid

Anneke said...

Wonderful. Just keep on looking at it. Thanks for showing Anneke.

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely beautiful, Astrid - the composition is perfect, and the colours of your homemade sprays are so gorgeously vintage. Note to self: get those re-inkers into action! I love all your AS ephemera - wonderful work!
Alison x

Redanne said...

Astrid this is a truly gorgeous piece of art. I love the design and all the wonderful details you have added. Your spray looks amazing too. Hugs, Anne x

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is a stunning & extremely beautiful work of art.

Dawn Louise said...

totally gorgeous, you've captured everything just right it looks fabulous and the detail keeps you lookin around the pages x

silvergran said...

ABsolutely fabulous!,love it all! Feel inspired!

Maryanne said...

This is fabulous, Astrid! You've made Finn's style your own. I love the ephemera you made and the spray color is great! I need to get my reinkers going! I can't wait to use some of Finn's techniques again after seeing this wonderful layout!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning Astrid - all the ephemera and colours and textures, all just gorgeous!! and so very Finnabair. Thanks for showing us how we can use our Artistic Stamper stamps in this wonderful style. I will look at them all afresh now. Wonderful inspiration xx

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Astrid, love this take on it.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Ink Art Designs said...

Astrid...you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Dot x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Awesome!!! Fabulous step by step, have to save this for reference. Love it!! ox

Paper Profusion said...

Looks stunning Astrid. The Finnabair 'technique' makes all elements so much more 'interesting'! Nicola x

Sid said...

An overall winner ..... it's lovely !

Lori said...

Stunning! Thanks for sharing your steps! Fantastic project!

CAVI said...

Hola, me ha encantado, es una página muy bella.
Saludos.

Rossella said...

Absolutely wonderful, Astrid, I love that you have created your own colour mist
Rosie x

Aquarius said...

This is fantastic - brilliant vintage photo too. So interesting the way you've added layers, gesso's and then sprayed etc - thanks for the explanations. I need to collect more ephemera!!

Daniele said...

wonderful creations, love the colour ink you created for the background
thanks for sharing the techniques

Terry said...

There is a guy out here named Drew who I learned a little from, but this is absolutely amazing! Love this journal and all it's beauty! Thank you for sharing the steps! Hugs!

Sarah said...

When I saw that you were taking a class from Finn, I knew her style would be natural for you. You have proven to be worthy of her instruction. Gorgeous journal pages, Astrid!

Marisa Job said...

Another stunning project!! Love it!!

Jenny Marples said...

Fantastic Astrid, and I love that you created your own ephemera. Need to do that with those fab stamps from The Artistic Stamper. Hugs, Jenny x

craftyb said...

Stunning! Thanks for the fab tutorial! This is going on my to do list!!!

Solange Barreto said...

Fabuloso projeto. Obrigada pelo tutorial. Estou aprendendo muito com você. Beijo.

Anonymous said...

I believe I missed this - I have been absent for a few days from commenting.
WOW this is incredible. The ink (is it a plum colour?) is so striking and of course I simply love the aged and distressed stamped ephemera.
Wishes
Lynne